This started out as a New Year’s Day variation of my Moroccan Meatball Stew, substituting black-eyed peas for the chickpeas; however, it evolved into its own thing with a Southwest minestrone flair, and thus deserves its own post.
- 1 small bag frozen meatballs
- 1 large or 2 medium cans crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 1 cup salsa or 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup small pasta (I used ditalini)
- 4 cups water
- 4 tbsp chicken base
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 stalks celery, diced fine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp minced garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Dash of hot sauce (optional)
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt for serving
Saute onion, garlic, and celery in oil with salt and pepper until softened. Add all ingredients except pasta and simmer for 20-30 minutes until carrots are soft. Add pasta and simmer until all dente, 15-20 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.
This soup is a delicious spicy bowl of goodness. Very good honey.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I hope it wasn’t too spicy.
Oh and there wasn’t any honey in it.