This is an amalgamation of about 8 different versions of the Cabbage Soup Diet soup. I know I have several cabbage soup recipes already (like this one and this one and even this one), but this is different enough that it deserves its own post.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced*
- 4 medium carrots or parsnips, chopped or sliced*
- 2 stalks celery, diced*
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium head green cabbage, chopped
- 1 large bottle or can tomato-based vegetable juice (V-8)
- Small jar roasted red peppers
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked or sweet paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Sauté first 4 vegetables in oil until softened and add cabbage; allow to wilt to about half volume. Add rest of ingredients and simmer until vegetables and lentils are done. Serve with a splash of apple cider vinegar and/or fresh lime juice if desired.
*I’ve successfully used a container of pre-diced mirepoix mix from the produce section for this.
Reblogged this on The Tony Burgess Blog and commented:
An easy and delicious soup full of vitamins and other good stuff.
LikeLiked by 1 person