- 2 6 oz cans crab meat
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup pre-diced onion/bell pepper/celery blend (“Holy Trinity”)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning blend (or Old Bay)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 cup crushed chips of your choice (whatever is lurking in the pantry)
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine
Cook rice per package directions and spread in bottom of oblong pre-sprayed baking dish. In same pot, melt 2 tbsp butter and saute vegetables until softened; remove from heat and stir in crab, cheeses, sour cream, and seasonings, then egg. Pour evenly over rice. In same pot again, melt remaining butter and stir together with crushed chips; sprinkle over crab mixture. Cover with foil and bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes; uncover and bake 10-15 minutes more until golden on top.
This began as a variation on my Tuna Noodle Casserole, and became “its own thang.” It warmed my low-country-seafood-loving soul on a rainy Saturday at home.