This recipe combines one shared by our friend John and one by British chef Jamie Oliver, along with several dashes of Soup Diva flair. It is rich and warm and filling. We had it with some Black Baltic bread from our local bakery, Bread and Butter.
- 2 to 2 1/2 lb oxtail
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1 large leek, rough chopped and rinsed
- 4-6 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary or 3 sprigs fresh
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 3 sprigs fresh
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Dry oxtails with paper towels and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Placed in dutch oven or roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Place uncovered in 450 degree oven for 20-30 minutes until browned on exterior. Add all other ingredients, cover, and place back in oven, reducing heat to 350 degrees. Cook 2-3 hours until meat is falling off the bone.