This recipe uses some of my favorite ingredients and shortcuts to create a dish that’s flavorful and comforting.
- 1 pkg smoked sausage (whole or links)
- 16 oz pasta (short or long, here I’ve used ditalini)
- 4 cups water or broth
- 1/2 cup diced onion/bell pepper/celery blend
- 1 tub flavored cream cheese or other soft cheese like Boursin
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt, black pepper, and seasoning blend to taste
Saute vegetable blend in butter in Dutch oven or large pot until softened. Slice sausage into coins and add to pot, continuing to saute until beginning to brown. Stir in liquid, scraping bottom of pot to dislodge any stuck bits. Add tomato paste, seasonings, and pasta, and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium and stir regularly until pasta is done. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses. Serve when cheese is melted.