- 7 cups chicken broth/water (at least 40 oz broth + water to make 7 cups liquid total)
- 1-1¼ lb. chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced fairly small
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground tumeric
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp white or black pepper
- 3 large pinches Kosher salt
- 1½ cups white or brown long grain rice
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
Add chicken broth through rice to the slow cooker and cook on high for 6-8 hours, or on low for 8-10 hours. Stir in cream and heat thoroughly before serving.
This soup is very hearty and is flavorful but not spicy. Perfect comfort food. Please don’t be afraid of the diced apple; when cooked fully, the apple breaks down and gives the broth a wonderful rich sweetness. You will NOT have chunks of apple in your soup!
Mulligatawny was featured in the “Soup Nazi” episode of Seinfeld and in an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network.