- 1 small (12-16 oz) HOMESTYLE bag frozen meatballs
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 small can pureed pumpkin
- 1 box chicken or beef broth
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 yellow or red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried or fresh parsley
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Dash of chili powder or sauce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Cook 4-6 hours in crock pot on high or 45 minutes on stove top (until vegetables are done). Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream. Serve over cooked rice, couscous, or lentils if desired.
You can easily make this a vegetarian dish by omitting the meatballs and using vegetable broth; adjust the liquid content as needed.
To cook couscous in the microwave:
2 cups couscous
3 cup water, stock or low-sodium broth
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
Stir well. Cover and cook 3 minutes or until boiling; let sit covered 5 minutes, then fluff with fork.
I first served this soup at Girl Scout Thinking Day for our office staff!