- 32 oz chicken (or vegetable) broth + 2 cups water
- 1 bunch green onions (about 6), diced
- 2 large or 3 small cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 serano chilie pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 can hominy OR 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Cook 6 hrs in crock pot; then add:
- Two 4 oz cans baby shrimp
- ½ cup half and half or 1 can coconut milk
Continue cooking until heated through. Top with chopped fresh cilantro and fresh lime juice if desired.
I served this with Cheesy Mexican Cornbread (1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix, ½ cup defrosted frozen corn kernels, ½ cup shredded pepper Jack cheese, ¼ cup sour cream, 1/3 cup half-and-half, one egg, baked 400 degrees for 20 minutes).
This recipe was developed for my second Thinking Day potluck at work.