Preheat oven to 425 degrees (400 for dark pan).
- 1 lb chicken tenders or boneless breasts
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- Splash of milk (or buttermilk)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cayenne pepper to taste
Mix flour and seasonings. Whisk egg and milk together. Dry chicken completely and coat with flour mixture, dip chicken in egg mixture, then panko, and place on baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in small saucepan, combine:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp brown mustard
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Dash of onion powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional: hot sauce, cayenne, chipotle powder, chili powder, or your favorite BBQ rub
Simmer sauce on medium heat until chicken is done. Dip tenders in sauce and place back on baking sheet. Spoon or pour any remaining sauce over chicken and allow to sit for 5 minutes or so before serving.
My hubby is a certified barbeque chicken junkie. He gave this dish two thumbs up!