Haluski is a Polish [or Slovaki] dish that has evolved greatly as immigrants came to the US. Traditional potato dumplings were replaced with Italian pasta, and greater availability of meat meant a little protein could be added. In Slovakia, sheep’s-milk cheese is often included; so a similar mild cheese like cream or marscapone can be added at the end if desired.
- 8-12 oz egg noodles or broken lasagna noodles
- 1 stick butter
- 1 small onion, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 head green cabbage, chopped
- 1/4 cup up to 3 cups diced smoked sausage or ham
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard (optional)
Cook noodles in salted water until al dente; drain and set aside. Melt butter in dutch oven or large skillet and saute onion until beginning to soften, then add cabbage and pepper. Stir well (can cover if desired), reduce heat, and allow cabbage time to wilt and soften. When cabbage is desired softness, stir in meat and mustard and serve when fully heated.
This was my 2022 New Year’s Cabbage dish 🥬
That was savory and delish. Good stuff darling.
LikeLiked by 1 person