This recipe began as an adaptation of my “Easy No-Peasy” Vegetable Beef Soup, but ended up so different from the original that it deserved its own post. This was a perfect dinner for a rainy Saturday at home during Blackberry Winter after an exhausting week.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup ditalini [or other short pasta]
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or milk)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning mix
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Dash of hot sauce or red pepper flakes (optional)
Brown ground beef and add onion and garlic, stirring well. When onion is softened, reduce heat and stir in flour. Once incorporated, add all ingredients except dairy. Cover and allow to simmer until vegetables and pasta are done. Add additional seasoning as needed. Stir in remaining ingredients and serve.