- 12 oz jumbo pasta shells
- 1 large jar pasta sauce (your choice)
- 1 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
- 4 oz low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend (set aside about ½ cup)
- 1 egg
- 10 oz package of fresh spinach, chopped very fine
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
Cook shells as directed on package to al dente; drain and rinse in cold water. In large mixing bowl, combine cheeses, egg, spinach and garlic powder until well-blended. Pour about half of the pasta sauce into one large or two small baking pans or dishes that have been lightly sprayed with cooking spray; make sure the sauce coats the bottom of the pan(s) well.
Using a metal spoon (such as a soup spoon), fill shells with cheese/spinach mixture and place in pan(s) with the open side facing up. They can be packed in tightly, but do not overlap. Top with remaining sauce and ½ cup shredded cheese. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes; let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
(Can be made ahead and frozen; thaw before baking. May need to add extra cooking time if baking straight from refrigerator.)