Easy, exotic, and flavorful!
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- About 2 tbsp oil (coconut, sesame, or olive) or ghee
- 1 tbsp cumin*
- 2 tsp cinnamon*
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne (or 1 tsp chili garlic paste)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp coriander*
- ½ tsp cardamon*
- ¼ tsp cloves*
- ¼ tsp nutmeg*
- *(or use 1 tbsp garam masala, omitting last 4 spices and decreasing cumin & cinnamon by 1/3)
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 medium cans (15 oz) tomato sauce
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Cilantro or parsley (for garnish)
Place chicken and onion in slow cooker; drizzle with oil. Add seasonings and stir well to coat. Pour in tomato sauce and sugar and stir; add bay leaves. Cook all day on low or 4 hours on high, then remove bay leaves. (For stove top preparation, saute onions in oil; add chicken and spices. When chicken is cooked through, stir in tomato sauce and sugar and simmer for 15-20 minutes.)*
In medium bowl, stir together yogurt or sour cream and cornstarch; add a little of the sauce from the pot to temper, then stir creamy mixture into pot. Add extra seasonings if needed; serve when heated through, with desired garnish. Wonderful over yellow rice and/or with some warm naan.
Yellow rice: Rinse 2 cups basmati or jasmine rice in running water and drain well. Boil 3 cups water with 2 tbsp butter, 1 tsp salt, and a pinch of saffron or tumeric; add rice and stir. Reduce heat to medium, stirring regularly, until desired consistence. Fluff and serve.
*For Instant Pot, use only 1 can of tomato sauce; saute chicken and onion on high until mostly cooked, then add rest of ingredients (except yogurt/sour cream mixture) and Pressure Cook for 7 minutes with a 10 minutes natural release).