This recipe is adapted from the Apple Cake Tea Room in Knoxville, Tennessee.
- 3 lbs bone-in chicken breasts (about 5 cups once pulled/chopped)
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise (little more or less as desired)
- 2 tbsp your favorite mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 ribs of celery with leaves, chopped fine
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tsp curry powder (optional)
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
Place chicken in slow cooker and add water to almost cover. Liberally salt and pepper and cook on low until done (3-4 hours). Remove chicken and allow to cool (strain and save broth if desired). Pull off skin and pull meat from bones by hand and chop into ½” pieces. Can do this several days in advance of making salad if desired (I store it in a large bowl with lid to mix later).
One day before serving, stir in mayonnaise to desired consistency, then mustard, honey, celery, poppy seeds, pecans, and seasonings. Chill until ready to serve. Can spoon into filo dough shells for a fancy presentation.
The secret to good chicken salad is using fresh, simply cooked chicken. It takes more time, but it is definitely worth it!