This cornbread contains the flavors of Mexico as well as the colors of its flag!
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp diced pimiento
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp jarred jalapenos, seeded and diced fine
- 1 tbsp chives, diced fine (optional)
- 2 tbsp your favorite cooking oil + 1 tbsp for pan
Preheat skillet or cake/pie pan in oven at 350 degrees. Stir together all ingredients until incorporated (do not over-stir). Remove skillet or pan from oven, pour in 1 tbsp oil and swirl around (careful, it will sizzle!) Pour in cornbread batter immediately and place back in oven. Bake 15-20 minutes; switch to broil and leave in oven until top is desired brownness (about 5 minutes).
For a quick muffin version, use 1 package Jiffy corn muffin mix, 1 egg, 1/3 cup milk, 1 small can diced green chilies, and 1 cup shredded Mexican shredded cheese. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.