This is my variation on an old recipe (Hot Buttered Cheerios). This adds a little more flavor and some protein.
- 1 stick butter or margarine*
- 1/2 cup oil*
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce*
- 1 tsp garlic powder*
- 1/2 tsp onion powder*
- 1/2 tsp white pepper*
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp hot sauce or chili garlic paste (optional)
- 32 oz salted dry roasted peanuts OR honey-roasted peanuts
- 2 18 oz boxes Cheerios-like cereal (I prefer Great Value Multigrain)
Melt butter or margarine in glass measuring cup in microwave; add oil, Worcestershire and seasonings and stir until blended. Pour cereal and peanuts in large roasting pan and stir together; poor liquid over evenly and stir until all pieces are coated well. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring very well every 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely in pan before storing.
*(I have successfully made these with ghee, coconut oil, and 1 tbsp curry powder in place of the other seasonings. Exotically flavorful and slightly healthier!)