“Big” because it makes a LOT. “Easy” because it’s super simple!
- 1 lb chicken (bone-in or boneless, your choice)
- 1 lb frozen cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb cooked smoked sausage, sliced (can use Cajun spiced)*
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 medium can diced tomatoes with bell or chile peppers
- 1 yellow or red onion, diced
- 5 cups water
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon base or powder
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Up to 1 tsp cayenne *(optional — if you buy Cajun sausage, you can omit this)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cooked jasmine rice (to serve gumbo over)*
Whisk together oil and flour in small pot on stove. Keep stirring regularly until roux is desired color (caramel or darker). Scrape into to crock pot and add everything except shrimp and sausage. Cook on low all day; remove chicken, shred/debone, and return to pot. Add shrimp and sausage; let cook an additional 20-30 minutes. Spoon over rice and top with hot sauce if desired.
*Jasmine rice: boil 3 cups water with 1 tsp salt; add 2 cups rice, cover and reduce heat to low for 20 minutes.