- 1 to 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts or strips
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can hominy
- 1 small can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 4 oz cream cheese (I use Neufchatel)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal or masa harina
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro (optional)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Topping options: tortilla strips or chips, shredded Mexican cheese, fresh cilantro, sour cream, avocado slices, sliced jalapenos, hot sauce
Place chicken, broth, onion, garlic, and seasonings in crock pot on high for a couple of hours or until chicken is done. Remove chicken, shred, and return to pot, then add salsa and diced tomatoes/chilies and turn pot to low. (If leaving for the day, you can put all these ingredients in together on low, then shred chicken when you return home.) Cube cream cheese and place spaced apart in pot. Stir together cornmeal and milk in small bowl; cover and set in fridge (Pampered Chef’s prep bowls are perfect for this!) 30 minutes before serving, stir milk mixture into pot. Serve topped as desired.
This soup was created as an homage to a friend from our church in Murfreesboro, who has a yummy version of this soup; along with my new coworker, who shared her recipe for white chicken chili with me. My recipe has elements of both soups, plus my own Soup Diva spin!