This is a simple and delicious one-pot main OR side dish* that should please all the cheese-lovers in your life!
- 8 oz large elbow macaroni noodles
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup creamier shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, provolone, mozzarella, gouda)
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 medium (12 oz or so) can evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- Salt and white pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill 9 or 10 inch oven-safe skillet with 1 inch salted water and bring to boil; add noodles and cook to al dente. Drain and return to skillet with the eye turned off. Add butter, stirring to melt; then add cheeses (saving back 1 cup of the Cheddar) and stir well until mostly melted and incorporated. Stir in milk, egg, mustard, and white pepper. Top with remaining Cheddar and bake in oven for 20 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly. Do not overbake.
To make a larger batch, use large pot or dutch oven; transfer to baking dish if needed for baking.
*(Here in the South, macaroni and cheese is generally considered a side dish. However, in other parts of the country, I’ve discovered it’s usually served as a main dish. I know I could eat it in either capacity!)