This recipe was born from a craving for Italian food, and a lack of motivation to go to the store.
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 24 oz jar marinara sauce
- 16 oz dried short pasta, such as rigatoni or egg noodles
- 1/2 cup soft cheese (mozzarella, ricotta, etc)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs (optional)
- 1 tsp minced garlic OR 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp fresh basil OR 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Parsley or fresh basil to garnish (optional)
Saute chicken in oil, salt, and pepper in large skillet, pot, or dutch oven on medium high heat until not quite done; reduce heat to medium low and stir in sauce, garlic, basil or seasoning blend, and onion. Allow to simmer for 10-30 minutes until close to time to serve. Fill sauce jar 2/3 with water; cover and shake to rinse off all remnants, then stir into pan and add pasta. Continue to simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is done. Stir in cheeses and top with bread crumbs and garnish if desired.