This soup is flavorful, comforting, and nourishing! Thanks to my cousin-in-law-in-law Cat for sharing it with me.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 to 1lb ground sausage*
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or chopped
- 32 oz beef broth (I prefer bone broth)
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and black pepper to taste
- dash of red pepper flakes
- few dashes of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
If desired, you can add other vegetables, such as:
- 8 Yukon gold potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 cup sliced carrots (I like the crinkle-cut “chips”)
- 1 pkg sliced mushrooms
Brown beef and sausage in large pot or dutch oven; do not drain. Add onion & garlic and continue heating until softened. Stir in broth and tomatoes, then seasonings, then cabbage and any other vegetables; continue heating on high until cabbage has begun to wilt (for me, this is whenever I can finally put the lid on my Dutch Oven). Cover and heat on medium until cabbage and other vegetables are softened, 30-45 minutes. You can also cook this in the slow cooker for 4-6 hours on high or all day on low.
*(I have also made this with 1/2 lb Polish sausage cut into chunks.)
Reblogged this on The Tony Burgess Blog and commented:
Pre-pre Thanksgiving dinner. A great, hearty meal for a cold night.
LikeLiked by 1 person