- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 sweet onion, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 jar salsa or picante sauce + 1 jar water
- 1 large can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 2 cans hominy or sweet corn (or 2 cups frozen)
- 1 can pinto beans (or black, kidney, etc)
- 1 packet (2 tbsp) ranch dressing mix
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning (½ packet)
Open all cans & jars except hominy or corn and pour entire contents into crock pot or large soup pot. Chop onion and add to pot; brown ground beef and add to pot. Add seasonings and stir. Cook for 4-6 hours in crock pot or at least 30 minutes on stove top. Add hominy or corn and continue heating another 5-10 minutes. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
This is my version of the tried-and-true “taco soup,” for which many recipes exist; but I am always asked for my recipe, so here it is. It is easy, colorful, delicious, and [mostly] nutritious!