- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 sweet onion, diced [1/2 cup] or 2 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 large or 2 medium can(s) tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes & green chilies or 1 small can diced green chilies
- 1 can hominy or sweet corn (or 2 cups frozen)
- 1 can pinto beans (or black, kidney, etc) – can drain/rinse if desired
- 1 packet (2 tbsp) ranch dressing mix
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning [½ packet]
- Toppings as desired (see below)*
Open all cans & jars except hominy or corn and pour entire contents into crock pot or large soup pot. Chop onion and add to pot; brown ground beef and add to pot. Add seasonings and stir. Cook for 4-6 hours in crock pot or at least 30 minutes on stove top. Add hominy or corn and continue heating another 30 [crock pot] or 5-10 [stove top] minutes.
*Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, and/or tortilla strips or chips as desired.
This is my version of the popular “taco soup,” for which many recipes exist; but I am always asked for my recipe, so here it is. It is easy, colorful, delicious, and [mostly] nutritious!
Reblogged this on The Tony Burgess Homepage and commented:
We are having this family favorite for dinner tonight. The weather is getting to be just ideal for a slightly spicy soup that is nourishing and good too.
LikeLiked by 1 person