(Recipe makes 2)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and cut into bite-size chunks
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 pkg instant onion soup mix
- Salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and butter or margarine (cubed – optional)
(You will assemble your dinners on two rectangles of heavy-duty aluminum foil with the shiny side up.)
Divide ground beef into two patties and sprinkle with soup mix, patting into both sides. Place vegetables on top of meat and season to preference; arrange cubed butter across top to allow it to melt downwards (you can also substitute squeeze butter if desired). Wrap each dinner well, folding the long sides of the foil in to overlap, then rolling the short sides to seal tightly (it works best if you fold the corners in first). Bake at 375 degrees for one hour. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before unwrapping and serving.
(For each meal)
- 1 boneless chicken breast
- 1-2 halves of full corn cob (fresh or frozen)
- Carrots (cut in chunks, or use baby carrots)
- 1-2 small potatoes (cut in chunks)
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
Season liberally with salt, pepper, and other seasonings. Bake at 425 for 1 hour.
Either of these work equally well cooked on campfire coals or grill; you can even assemble them at home and pack them in a cooler until cookout time. Hobo dinners are a Girl Scout favorite from years back!