- 1 whole bulb garlic
- olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I like the fire-roasted variety)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- ½ sweet onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2-3 slices jarred jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried or 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
Cut top of garlic bulb so that all cloves are exposed. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and place in 300 degree oven for 1 hour. When cooled enough to handle, squeeze entire bulb from skin into blender or food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and blend to desired consistency. Eat as if you’re at a Mexican restaurant and there’s a bottomless basket of chips.
I traditionally make this for Cindo de Mayo, which is when we try to have dinner on our deck for the first time each spring.