This recipe is adapted from one created by our rector’s wife. She brought it to our Lenten study and soup supper, and hubby and I both had seconds!
- 1 smoked sausage (7-8 oz), diced
- 1 large butternut squash (or 2 small bags diced frozen)
- 32 oz chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium can diced tomatoes (I used fire-roasted) or 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 onion or leek, diced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Splash of milk or cream
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Other optional additions: 1 small can diced green chilies, 1 can hominy; top with dollop of goat cheese or Greek yogurt.