This dish is autumn and comfort stirred together in a bowl, yet another recipe adapted from & inspired by our rector’s wife, Rachelle.
- 1 lb sage sausage (Tennessee Pride makes one) or add 1 tsp sage to plain
- 16 oz cut pasta (I used rigatoni)
- 1 regular can pureed pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 to 1 cup evaporated or regular milk (or dairy-free substitute)
- 1 shallot (or small onion), diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 tsp)
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for garnish if desired
Brown sausage and add shallot or onion and garlic, stirring until softened. Add broth and stir until no brown bits are on bottom of pan, then add seasonings, pumpkin, and milk, and heat until bubbling. Reduce heat to low. Meanwhile, boil pasta to al dente; do not drain yet. Stir in about 1/2 cup of pasta water, saving back at least another 1/2 cup. Drain pasta and add to sauce; stir in more pasta water if needed to desired consistency. Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.