This classic dish is part casserole, part dip, and all delicious! The cheese is not a traditional ingredient, but it’s hard for me to say no to just a little cheese. Be sure you allow the crab to be the featured player when making this recipe.
- 1 lb lump crab meat
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 onion, diced fine (2 tbsp fresh or 3 tbsp frozen)
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Old Bay or other seasoning mix
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- pinch of dried dill (optional)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- fresh or dried parsley (optional)
Combine mayonnaise, cheese, onion, egg and seasonings; stir in crab very gently (this can be done up to a day ahead and covered and refrigerated). Spoon into single dish or skillet, or individual ramekins. Sprinkle panko [and parsley] over top and drizzle with butter. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until top is light golden brown. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. Goes well with rice, pasta, crackers, or other starchy accompaniment; serves 2-3 (double or triple recipe for larger groups).